Saturday 4 August 2012

There once was a man from Nantucket

My Australian friends took their first look at this little ol' blog of mine a couple of days ago and seemed to take it with good grace; I take this as a sign to continue updating in the relatively candid manner in which I have been doing.
So, to what has your beloved wizard been getting up, I hear you ask. Well, as those of you who follow my twitter will have heard, but probably not comprehended, I 'won free internet using my poetry'. Allow me to elaborate:

'Twas the night of the quiz night
And all through the house
The tension was palpable-
A fire that one couldn't douse

We split into teams, and
Oh me oh my
Two teams wanted a piece
Of the old wizard pie

I had to decide
Between my fellow exchangers
and the rec room 2 crew,
to whom I wasn't a stranger

I chose rec room 2
Since I wanted to seem
Like a genuine Australian
Like one of the team

The prize was quite good;
An internet bundle,
worth thirty five dollars-
It merited a trundle

The competition was fierce,
And I answered a few,
But the exchangers were on fire
And there was little we could do

The foreigners won, 
and my team came third-
For this we got nothing,
Which I felt was absurd

The prizes rewarded;
But there were bundles to spare,
They could still be won
In a classic talent fair

Four of us stood,
Determined to please,
The contest began
When a girl walked on her knees

Both Shane and Logan
Elected to quote
Their beloved Game of Thrones,
Which they've both learnt by rote

But Shane sadly faltered,
His tongue got most tied,
Logan breezed on,
Took it all in his stride

I was next to the bat,
I looked at them all,
Then launched into 'chickens',
And left them in a thrall

It was time for the judging-
"Cheer for your fave!"
They read out my name
And the sound roared like a wave

I couldn't believe it!
My fortunes reversed!
Where once I was a loser
Now I was first

I was elated
As ever I was
Certainly a victory
For the wizard in Oz

And that's how it happened. They like me, they really like me!

What else? Well, I've just come back from a trip to the 'mana bar' (a videogames bar) and a club with the rec room 2 crew. I also went to a hipster bar with Manthy and Milly on thursday; I quite liked it, since the music was halfway decent, even if the drinks were overpriced- however, I don't think it was quite what the two Ms were wanting. I'm also really enjoying my classes at present- all my lecturers are engaging, and the courses they're teaching are really quite interesting. We were talking in Language, Society and Culture about how 'no homo' has allowed young men to express their feelings without being seen as gay (finally!), and Second Language Teaching has been telling me about behaviourist theories and Language Acquisition, which I've always enjoyed. Even Syntax hasn't gotten onto X-bar theory yet, though I'm not hopeful for when the shit hits the fan.
So far, Australia's pretty fly.

4 comments:

  1. 'Cause around here so few people liked you...
    *strong sarcastic tone intended*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel! I thought you'd stopped reading! I was a little hurt actually. And, yes, I had some truly brilliant friends back in the burgh, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate my buddies here in oz.

      Delete
  2. I was kind of scare of writing more comments after your reply to the socks' one. But no, I'm a hardcore follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was wondering how you'd take that. sorry for scaring you- why not go back and comment on every other post?

      Delete