Thursday 16 August 2012

A limerick is cleverly versed


Upon reaching the great land of Oz,
I was terribly affronted because
Of the terrible prices
 (And not just on the vices!)
You wouldn’t believe how costly it all was

Due to the costs being great,
And my incredibly low income rate,
I needed to seize
All opportunities
To increase my monetary estate

So when open mike was declared,
For sure, my nervousness flared,
But I had to be brave-
Thirty dollars I could save!
And the one who wins is oft the one who dared

But a problem arose in my eyes-
I’d already served up my chicken surprise
And no other ditty
Was nearly was witty
And I really fucking wanted the prize

So I wrote a new poem on the bus,
The subject of which I will not discuss,
But if you care,
It was a personal affair,
Which made me look a bit like a wuss

The contest in earnest began;
Songs by Adrian, Victoria and Dan,
Aspen played flute,
And no one would refute,
That that girl could blow like a fan

Then, it my turn on to recite,
And, much like the trivia night,
My heart was aflutter,
My fingers like butter,
But I made myself step into the light

And now, to cut a long story short,
I won- but ‘twas a battle hard fought,
But in case you’re keeping score,
I’ve won sixty dollars and more,
Purely through this poetry sport

Word up.

No comments:

Post a Comment