Sunday 12 August 2012

A bridge too far

The 'rents have landed, and I did not need to contact them, meaning I win.
The war.
Against...prodigality.
Or summat.

Anyway, this'll be a quick'un just to tell y'all about one of the less pleasant memories I have accrued in my month (shit, one twefth of the way through my time here- WHERE HAS IT GONE?!!) standing on the underside of the world.
I call it...

'Les Misère-ables'

It started with the rather innocent suggestion that Logan, Aspen, Jason (who is now on his fourth nickname in 'David') and I play 500, a card game I've picked up whilst here. The point of 500 is to win 500 points through playing what is essentially 'hearts' but where the trump card changes every time; at various points in the game, Logan and Jason had scored 490, 430 and 470 points. Aspen and I had, equally variously, 150, -230 and -440 points (if you get to -500 points, you lose). However, neither team ever managed to get to that golden quincentennial marker; at one of the points that L and J had gotten oh so unbelievably close, I managed to persuade the ineffable Mr. J to take a fool's gamble and thus lose them an inordinate amount of points. Now, for some reason, Logan decided this was my fault, even though it was David who had taken the risk. He expressed his distaste by twisting my ear to try and stem my laughter at the situation, which I felt was unnecessary- now, Logan is one of the few who actually reads my blog, so I'll leave this discussion there.
Anyway, long, long, long story short, they won and we went to Macdonalds, but it's notable for being one of the few times my serpent-tempter act has actually worked, and also for the sheer chunk of my life that it took to complete this game. Seriously, I now see my life as pre and post- 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment