Thursday 6 September 2012

Student Parties

And now we're going to discuss a genuine difference twixt the British and Australian education system (funny side story: my friend Anncy and the girl sitting in front of me right now are convinced the British school system is Hogwarts).
I before E, mudbloods. 
And by the 'British and Australian education system' I mean 'Edinburgh Uni and Melbourne Uni', and by 'Edinburgh Uni and Melbourne Uni' I mean 'the posters I ignore and the fliers I ignore'; the Melbourne Uni student government is run on parties.

And sadly I am not referring to bashes, hootenannies nor shindigs. I am referring to political parties.
The quarter practiced in the park
I find this extremely odd, coming from a system where (I believe) one votes in individuals. It also seems nonsensical, but that could just be because I'm not used to it.
Just how at first it seemed jarring when I posted this every damn where, but now you don't even notice.
It adds a new level of ridicule to an already deeply flawed system. Because now student politics, that of the 'more parties, fewer fees', is now party politics, that of the 'they're evil, I'm not'. I've been told how the other 'tickets' (because calling it a party would be too simple) are linked to this political party, support these atrocities and secretly want to bring down the system from within- no joke, someone actually said that to me.

If you ask me, the system needs taking down a peg.
If this all seems pointless, petty and infantile, that's because it is. People make too big a deal of student politics when it's not related to real politics; adding that dimension just gives people a license to get even crazier about it. It's silly and illogical and I think I have to take part in it, because voting is compulsory in Australia. If I don't, they'll come after me.
They're not exactly short on minions.
Also, interesting fact: liberal means conservative in Australia. This truly is the land where everything is upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment