Tuesday 3 July 2012

The Parting of the Ways

I bid farewell to Mel and Travis today- that's my second oldest friendship now sealed for a year and put into the back of the wine cellar to mature (one can always hope). I don't know if I'll even get to see Dan, my longest-running friend, before I leave, as he's off sojourning in Brum, which I'll admit is hardly, oh I don't know, 10505 miles away but we're not close enough for me to travel more than a mile and a half (i.e. the distance between our houses) to see him. So, I like to think I've hit my nadir in terms of sadness; Esmond and Emma are both coming over the next few days to keep me company, but for some reason these have the feeling of a joyous celebration, like the prospect of a sleep over with my friends when I was twelve, whereas visiting Mel felt very much like the end of something- not to say I didn't enjoy her company, but we both knew that the friend ship was going to be moored for a while (see what I did there?) I think part of this might stem from the fact that Emma and Esmond are coming to me, while I had to go to see Mel- I wonder if they'll arrive filled to the brim with lugubry to find me wearing a party hat and carrying a bowl of warm water, a mischevious glint in my eye. Travis certainly displayed no outward signs of lament as I hugged him one last time and helped tuck him into bed. Then again, he's two, so mayhap he should not be my role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment