Sunday 1 July 2012

I had a shenanigan once; most uncomfortable twenty minutes of my life

I really wish my life were a page on TV tropes, because boy do I have a subversion of the classic 'zany scheme' I've read so much about. See, there are so many TV shows (Will and Grace, Ugly Betty) where the resident gay's parents are coming and, hilarity of hilarity, he's told them that one of the female leads is his girlfriend! Cue laugh track galore, lots of improvisation and a web of lies so big that Charlotte could have written out the first five chapters of Silas Marner upon it. Naturally, the truth does out (as does the gay) and there's tears, recriminations and a heartfelt hug, with a moral about tolerance and openness and getting your story straight before undertaking any big lie. Roll credits, tune in next week.
But here's where I get all post-modern and give it a twist: my parents already know I'm gay. On Wednesday next week, an old friend will come and stay. Now, this friend is a redblooded heterosexual, but also a bloody good actor. The scheme is simple- I tell him that I've told my parents that he's my boyfriend to get them off my back about being single; we'll play the part of the couple until it all falls apart in a huge set piece involving someone getting hit in the face with a piece of cake.
Whilst that all sounds wonderful, I can't imagine why I would do it, except to subvert expectations, cause shenanigans and generally spice up what is a dull and lonesome place (my parents' house). Also, I've already had a grilling from my loving progenitors about my utter lack of a significant other, so I wouldn't even be maintaining an illusion. Ah well, I'll just have to settle for decapitating some more chickens to enliven my hometown.

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know there's somebody following your blog.
    ╔╗╔╗
    ║╚╝╠═╦╗╔╗╔═╗
    ║╔╗║╩╣╚╣╚╣╬╠
    ╚╝╚╩═╩═╩═╩═╩

    ReplyDelete