Friday 6 July 2012

Google (per)plex

When I was coming to University, I remember vividly counting out the number of pairs of socks I had- even allowing for odd ones, I am not heterophobic-and it totalled eight. I now have eleven, so it's nice to have a solid way of measuring how much I have grown in two years. Since google is as unforthcoming with the number of pairs of socks that the average person owns as ever, I have no idea where this puts me in comparison with my fellow human being, but I like to think this is somewhat less, if only cos it makes me seem less materialistic. Alack.
In other news, Esmond came, saw, conquered and departed, a teary farewell on Telford Central station ensuing, culminating in me running after the train, arm outstretched, as he looked on, embarassed, his fellow passengers raising their brows at the weirdo on the platform. Emma is still here, though, and so my final four days in Britain will at least be spent in company. Things are naturally heating up on the preparation front, and today my mother actually gave me Marks and Spencers' vouchers she'd been saving since her birthday so I could buy some smart looking trousers (in the hopes of securing employment in the antipodes). Tomorrow we go trawling through TK Maxx for discount sun glasses and 'evening shoes', whatever they are. I'm sure google could inform me, but he's in a huff after I asked him that question I didn't know about the socks.

2 comments: