Tuesday 5 February 2013

Njoy yourself


I currently sit in the lushest youth hostel in which I have ever stayed; and, yes, that includes Brodie’s in Edinburgh (as that one shopkeep put it ‘Brodies? Brodies is a dah-ump!’).
It has a pool, people.
And pool people.
They give you free meal cards for a local restaurant- and, on Tuesdays, free pizza! So, yes, last night I went out with a group of the hostelers to a local bar and got free pizza- I spent the night conversing with a GerMAN named Matteo, and tonight we're gonna go to the beach (apparently one can't swim there because of crocodiles. We shall see.)
I also got a free upgrade to my room because, and I quote, I was a ‘fellow Englishman’ to the guy at the counter- I was meant to be sharing with eight other people, instead I share with only one! And I don’t have to sleep on a bunk bed! Calloo, callay!
‘But, Rory!’, you cry, your voice awash with wonderment, ‘why on earth are you in a Youth Hostel?’ Why, because I’m in Cairns, of course! And what’s in Cairns?
The Motherfuckin’ Great Barrier Reef. That’s what. I glimpsed it from the plane window (also quite a pleasant flight- there was no one sitting next to me), and it was beautiful. There's also a rainforest nearby, so I'm going to that as well! Squee!
Let’s hope I didn’t use up all my good karma on the flight and the hostel, and that the actual experience ends up being good as well.
P.S. The title comes from the fact that I’m staying at the ‘N Joy Traveller’s residency’. In case y’all were wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment