Tuesday 2 August 2016

Return Trip: Days 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7

Friday

I met up with Charlotte- this was a reunion foretold in the stars, one I'd been imagining and anticipating for years and it didn't disappoint. Charlotte's always had an energy which is a joy to behold; she's so creative and conversations with her twist and bend in such odd ways, tangents becoming stories becoming pataphors becoming an extended exploration of how alternate universes might work in minute detail. Absolutely wondrous.

After that, I met up with Andrew. It was actually a lot like our first ever meeting, way back in September 2012: we discussed politics, pyschology, theatre; we ventured opinions on how these fields interacted; we took guesses at each other's psyches. Of course, this time, I felt we were slightly more equal as I'd seen a bit more of the world, but that just made the tête-à-tête all the more satisfying.

After Andrew left, I was just going to go back to my hostel but on a whim, I jumped on a random tram to see where it took me. This allowed me to see a new part of the city, as well as feel that I was getting more value out of my Myki card; sadly, the part of the city it took me too was rather bleak and by this time it was quite dark. Still, an evening stroll can do you wonders. 

Saturday

I met with Aspen, and later her boyfriend Michael, for lunch. We went to Pancake Parlour and after Max Brenner's, two of our haunts of yore. Aspen and I talked quite a while about politics, which I don't remember us having done before- we also discussed Orange is the New Black, which we definitely never did before because I hadn't seen it. When Michael arrived, we also talked about the difficulties of getting on the property ladder, which seemed so grown-up and grounded that I couldn't quite believe it was a conversation I was having with the girl with whom I used to duet The Bad Touch

After seeing Aspen, I went to an improv show in which Charlotte was starring. It was, get this, an improvised Shakespeare show. It was incredibly funny- I sat front row guffawing all the way through- and Charlotte's aforementioned energy perfectly suits the improvisation format. After, we got drinks on a rooftop bar and I told her repeatedly how great she was. 

Sunday

Victoria and I got breakfast together, once more at Pancake Parlour. She filled me in on her life since the days of Yarra, and I regaled her with stories of my time in Japan and France. After that, we went and got purikura- you see, Victoria also used to live in Japan and so she knew how to pass the time, Nippon-style. Once we'd made ourselves prettier and drawn all over our photographs, we went and got some incredibly strange juice which was incredibly...thick. The café said this was becase the juice was fresh but I'm not sure that that was the cause. Strange juice aside, Victoria seemed buoyant as ever and it was awesome to catch up.

In the evening, I saw Simon. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but this time I was struck by how similiar Simon is to Esmond- I get the feeling that if they met each other, they'd either get along like a house on fire or drive each other crazy. Still, Simon and I discussed, among other things, being magazine editors (he's just finished, I've just begun), art and the meaning thereof and whether or not people are bastards. Sadly, it was quite a short visit because he had to go eat dinner with his family but I think we might see each other again and if not, I'm hopefully gonna see Esmond next month so that's pretty much the same thing. 

Monday

I went to a poetry event and NAILED IT. I was on fire. People I didn't know came up and hugged me to thank me for my words. People bought me drinks and insisted that I come to their thing next week, hailing me as the fresh new thing in Melbourne poetry. When I told them I was only in town for a few days, hearts were broken. I'm not even exaggerating. 

Tuesday

This morning I went back to the NMIT campus- now known as Melbourne Polytechnic- and Yarra House, where I used to live. I guess the buildings hadn't really changed, but with the uni's new name had come a new design aesthetic and honestly, the place felt very different. I only walked around once and then left- I guess there's nothing there for me anymore. 
However, I then went along the trail Jason and I used to walk in the evenings: this was absolutely charming. The park hadn't changed one bit, it was still verdant and lush in a uniquely Antipodean way. I went back to the small waterfall near Yarra, and I'd never really been there after a really rainfall, and to see all the water flowing was actually quite effecting. I stared at those falls for quite a while. The whole walk bought back memories of long-dead conversations and secret confessions, and once more I got the feeling that Melbourne is like a city of stone tape for me- just a record of experiences and emotions, just waiting to boil to the surface. On the way back from the walk, I took off my shoes, as was my occasional wont back in the day and I got horribly lost, having forgotten the second part of the circle, reminding that not all the memories of my time here are so readily accesible. 

I've just come back from a drink and a chat with Morgan, who was one of my co-stars on Aussie Rules. Morgan has really got his shit together and had in fact just come from the Governor's house (ooh la la). He was dressed extremely smart and made me feel rather shabby and wanting, which I think is just my natural state. In a twist, Morgan is actually currently in the opposite of my situation- he's just returned from a year abroad in the UK and is missing the country terribly. I guess all I can say is, you'll feel better eventually but the saudade will never quite go away entirely. 

I'm just about to go and meet Maria now, but the recap of that will have to be put in the next update, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment